Stroudsmoor Holiday Recipe: Stroudsmoor Baker's Secret Gingerbread
1 c. Butter, room temperature
1¾ c. Brown Sugar
1¼ c. White Sugar
2 tb. Molasses
6 c. All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tb. Ground Ginger
1 tb. Ground Cinnamon
1 tb. Allspice
2 large Egg Whites
1 lb. Confectioners' Sugar,
1. Line several cookie sheets with aluminum foil, butter and flour the foil.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Beat in the molasses and eggs.
3. In another large bowl, sift dry ingredients.
4. Combine mixtures and knead into smooth ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Remember, making the dough the day before will create a better finished product.
5. Roll out on foil, cut out your favorite shapes and bake.
For decorating use our secret . . .
1. In bowl of electric mixer, beat egg whites on low speed until just frothy, one minute.
2. Beat in ¼ cup of sugar slowly. Add the remaining sugar and beat until mixture holds a peak - very thick. To keep a crust from forming while decorating, cover icing with a damp paper towel.
3. Use disposable zip lock pastry bags for an easy clean up.
4. Flavored icing is always a hit. add 1 tb. of your favorite extract or liqueur like Grand Marnier
or Cream de Coco to the icing for a whole new gingerbread twist.
Learn how to build your own Gingerbread House with the video below!
Like this recipe? Repin it to your holiday recipe board.
See our complete list of holiday recipes from the Pocono Mountains here.