Honesdale Walking Tours
Named after Phillip Hone, former Mayor of New York and president of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company.Honesdale was laid out in 1826 and was originally known as Dybery Forks. The town was incorporated in 1831. The main purpose for existence was to have a terminal for canal barges that carried coal to New York City markets. At one time Honesdale had the largest stockpile of coal in the world.