No. 9 Coal Mine & Museum
The No. 9 Coal mine was opened in 1855, but its origin traces back ten years earlier.The Mine was operated until 1972. At that time, it was the world's longest running anthracite coal mine. Visitors to the mine ride 1,600 feet along rail into the mountain. They can examine the miners' hospital, the mule-way, and the original 900-foot elevator shaft. Also on the grounds is the "Wash Shanty," which includes tools that miners used to wash clothing and equipment. The Museum has items like tools, food cans and blasting equipment that belonged to the miners of No. 9. Exhibits in the Museum include carved pieces of coal, historical photographs, paintings, models, a miners' kitchen replica, and other artifacts. The gift shop sells books, carved coal memorabilia, t-shirts and miners' hats.