Last updated: 2/19/20 -- Check back July 30, 2020 when this blog will be updated! Why battle the crowds at the beach when you can play, stay and celebrate on Lake Wallenpaupack? Jump in! Seal your summer vacation with a splash during Wally Lake Fest.
Celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, Wally Lake Fest is an annual end-of-summer event that packs the best parts of a Pocono Mountains vacation into one epic weekend. It's three days of food, music, sports, shopping, tours and activities for all ages, and it's coming our way August 23-25, 2019.
Read on for tips to help you make the most of Wally Lake Fest weekend in the Poconos.
BEFORE YOU GO
Book your room - It's worth staying for the full experience. Act early to secure a spot close to the fun.
Download a brochure - The map inside is a great resource!
Pack for play - We suggest sunscreen, swimsuits and sneakers. Check the brochure for specifics.
Call with questions - [570-226-2141] puts you in touch with information specialists at the Lake Wallenpaupack Visitors Center.
See for yourself - Watch this year's Wally Lake Fest video below to get a taste of what to expect.
Ready to experience the festival on The Big Lake's 52 miles of shoreline? With events on and off the water, you’re looking at a lot of ground to cover. Fortunately, celebrations are set in three main festival sections and free shuttles run to these locations on Saturday and Sunday.
- Downtown Hawley groups the northernmost businesses; those located along Route 6 in town. The Settlers Inn, Hawley Silk Mill, Cocoon Coffeehouse & Bakery, Ledges Hotel, Ritz Company Playhouse, and Penny Lane Candies & Candles are there.
- North End venues are slightly south of Hawley, along the lake’s eastern shore. Stick to Route 6 between 507 and 590. Points of interest there include Wallenpaupack Scenic Boat Tours, the Lake Wallenpaupack Visitors Center, Palmyra Township Public Beach on Lake Wallenpaupack and the Wallenpaupack Area High School.
- The Lake Region begins beneath the North End and curves around the water to Lakeville. It’s where you’ll find waterfront businesses like Silver Birches Resort, Lighthouse Harbor Marina, The Dock on Wallenpaupack and The Boat House Restaurant. Lacawac Sanctuary, Dorflinger Glass Museum and the Lakeville Fire Company are also in this section.
Free parking is available at the Lake Wallenpaupack Visitors Center, Wallenpaupack Area Middle School and the Wallenpaupack Area High School. Free shuttles stop at these locations on Saturday and Sunday.
Save time and money. Park once and ride the shuttles out to Wally Lake Fest hot spots.
- The Red Shuttle stops at the Lake Wallenpaupack Visitors Center, the Wallenpaupack Area Middle School and the Wallenpaupack Area High School. Catch it between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Sunday.
- The Blue Shuttle stops at the Wallenpaupack Area High School, Wallenpaupack Brewing Company, the Hawley Silk Mill and Downtown Hawley. It operates between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
On Saturday, The Stourbridge Line runs two train rides during Wally Lake Fest! Board the Wally Lake Special train in Honesdale, departing for Wally Lake Fest at 10 a.m., and enjoy the festival on the lake before returning at 3:30 p.m. Choose the Wally Lake Express, and depart from Downtown Hawley to Lackawaxen and back for a 1.5-hour, round-trip scenic train ride. Advance purchase is advised.
Festivities begin on Friday and run through Sunday evening throughout Downtown Hawley, the North End and Lake Region.
On the Water
If watersports are what you want, stick around the North End and the Lake Region. You'll have access to water recreation demos, tours and rentals in addition to water shows, performances and races.
- Friday – Start the weekend off with a day on the water with Wallenpaupack Scenic Boat Tours. Choose from kayak, stand-up paddleboard and pontoon rentals or a guided boat tour on Lake Wallenpaupack. The fun doesn’t stop there; these activities are available all weekend!
- Saturday – Water round two, commence. Enjoy kayak and stand-up paddleboard demos provided by Northeast Wilderness Experience at Silver Birches Resort and Palmyra Township Beach, kayak, SUP or boat rentals and tours from Wallenpaupack Boat Rentals and sailboat rides from Lighthouse Harbor Marina. Don’t miss the Wallypalooza floating music stage and the Boat, Watercraft and Outdoor Show at the Wallenpaupack Area High School.
- Sunday – Check out the Boat, Watercraft and Outdoor Show for the second day, rent kayaks, SUPs and boats from the outfitters mentioned above or make your way over to the north end of the lake for the Sailboat Regatta race.
- Friday – Warm up for the weekend with live music! Stay in the Lake Region to experience live music while dining like Silver Meteor at The Dock on Wallenpaupack and Tito's Pod at Silver Birches. Journey into Downtown Hawley for Jazz on the Deck at The Settlers Inn. You can also see a theater show at Hawley's Ritz Company Playhouse; Jack of Diamonds begins at 8 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
- Saturday – Saturday's Wallypalooza puts performers on the lake with the help of a floating stage. Drop anchor free of charge or sit on the shore to catch a set of the musical acts. Saturday brings more music to the streets of Downtown Hawley during the day and restaurants in the Lake Region at night. See Dueling Pianos at Silver Birches starting at 7 p.m.
- Sunday – Glass - Wine.Bar.Kitchen presents Blues, Brews & BBQ from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Sunday; reservations are recommended.
On the Table
Be sure to bring your appetite. One of the best parts of Wally Lake Fest is the food, which can be paired with some delicious drinks.
- Friday – Kick things off with a meal and some music. The Settlers Inn, The Boat House Restaurant, The Dock on Wallenpaupack and Gresham's Chop House have performances planned. Unwind at one or hop around and have a bite at each place. Don't miss Wally Lake Fest Can Release Friday and Saturday to grab the official beer of the festival.
- Saturday – Plan to sample on Saturday. The day’s events include food pairings, fairs, markets and free tastings. Explore Downtown Hawley as early as 10 a.m. and experience the good eats at local restaurants. Cocoon Coffeehouse hosts the Don Q Rum Mojito Ice Bar from noon to 6 p.m. and The Settlers Inn offers Wally Lake Fest Brunch starting at 11 a.m.
- Sunday – Pancake breakfast or farm-to-table brunch? Both are options Sunday morning. Fairs and tastings continue at various locations, and The Boat House Restaurant kicks off its Clam Bake 'N' Brew at noon. Don't forget about Blues, Brews & BBQ! It happens at Glass - Wine.Bar.Kitchen from 5 to 9 p.m.
Shop at Wally Lake Fest and you could head home with wares or watercraft. The festival features several outdoor markets and fairs, and local businesses set up specials and events specifically for this occasion.
- Friday – Stop by the Hawley Farmer’s Market between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. for local and hand-made products. Visit local vendors throughout the weekend, and you may even win souvenir or prize! You can even take a short drive to the Greene Dreher Sterling Fair, which can be experienced Friday through Sunday.
- Saturday – Catch the Fly Tying Demo and Open Market Fair at the Lake Wallenpaupack Visitors Center, Pet Adoption hosted by Penny Lane Candies & Candles, glass engraving demos by the Dorflinger Glass Museum, the Boat, Watercraft and Outdoor Show at the Wallenpaupack Area High School or the Artisan Craft Fair and Glass on Location at the Hawley Silk Mill. There will even be free tastings at Cocoon Coffeehouse & Bakery!
- Sunday – If you missed them, the Open Market Fair, Artisan Craft Fair, Cocoon Coffeehouse & Bakery Free Tastings and the Boat, Watercraft and Outdoor Show are all happening on Sunday, too! You can also shop, dine and explore downtown in Hawley to find even more treats and treasures.
To get the most out of a bash this big, you've got to plan in advance. Visit the Wally Lake Fest website or the Wally Lake Fest Facebook page to learn more about daily schedules, activity centers and places to stay.