Lehigh River Gorge Region
Visit Historic Jim Thorpe, the home of Asa Packer, the founding father of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and Lehigh University.
Jim Thorpe, formerly called Mauch Chunk for its' original meaning, "Mountain of the Sleeping Bear," was later named after the native American Hero of the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm. Jim Thorpe is the perfect destination for the avid historian or recreation seeker and known best for its history, fabulous views and recreational activities. Unique shopping boutiques, antiquing, dining and more await visitors and are sure to satisfy all members of the family. Find more information on Jim Thorpe things to do while visiting including maps of the town and surrounding areas.
Whether you're looking for a small, private bed and breakfast located in an authentic, Victorian home or the luxury of a beautifully restored 19th-century downtown hotel or inn, you'll sleep in comfort and style in Jim Thorpe.
A perfect getaway for the weekend or day-trip:
- Tour the Historic Victorian town of Jim Thorpe, also known to many as the "Switzerland of America." Area attractions include:
- Exploring The Old Jail Museum for the lore of the Molly Maguires.
- See an actual working model of the famed Switchback Railroad at the Mauch Chunk Museum and Cultural Center.
- Browse the collections at the Dimmick Memorial Library.
- Walk along Race Street past St. Mark's Church and Stone Row and visit the numerous shops and restaurants.
- Take a ride on the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway.
- Then visit the Asa Packer Mansion, founder of the first railroad in America.
- Take a drive across town to the Jim Thorpe Memorial.
- Explore the coal heritage and take a tour of the No. 9 Mine and Museum.
- Check out a live performance from your favorite artist at Penn's Peak.
- Unique dining opportunities await visitors to Jim Thorpe. From a romantic dinner overlooking the galleries and shops of historic Race Street to a great breakfast in an authentic train car diner, Jim Thorpe provides an exciting variety of dining choices.
- Plan your visit to include a special event offered by nearby Penn's Peak or The Mauch Chunk Opera House.
- Interested in spending time in the great outdoors? Try some of these recreational activities:
- Mountain Biking along the Lehigh Gorge Rail Trail
- Whitewater rafting, canoeing or kayaking on the Lehigh River
- Hiking through the Lehigh Gorge
- Horseback Riding
- Bird watching
Bike, Wine & Dine on Broadway... in Jim Thorpe that is.
A day-trip filled with spectacular scenery, exceptional food, fine wine, laughter and great shopping. This trip is a one-stop event to soak in the adventures and highlights of Jim Thorpe.