Interested in taking a day trip this fall to the Pocono Mountains? Here are some great day trip ideas!
Encompassing 2,400 square miles of rolling mountain terrain, breathtakingly beautiful waterfalls, thriving woodlands and 170 miles of winding rivers, the Pocono Mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania is a forest paradise less than two hours driving distance from New York City and Philadelphia.
Stay, explore and experience the beauty of autumn in the Pocono Mountains.
Day One: Roam the Lehigh Gorge and Jim Thorpe
Morning: Take a scenic train ride up the Lehigh Gorge for 25 miles, and then bike back down at your own pace. Pairing leisure with adventure, this all-day outing is an exhilarating way to see the trees around Jim Thorpe. Events are scheduled select dates in October and November. Just want to relax? The Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway offers Autumn Leaf excursions on weekends through October.
Evening: Step back in time during a walking tour of Jim Thorpe. Take a self-guided tour throughout the streets with Jim Thorpe Walking Tours and enjoy sightseeing, shopping and culture. Jim Thorpe’s famed Fall Foliage Festival generally set for the first three weekends in October. Events include live music, food and craft vendors, children’s activities and more fall fun for all ages!
Cozy up at a bed and breakfast/country inn. Jim Thorpe is home to charming bed and breakfasts like the:
Day Two: Experience adventure along the Delaware River and Milford
Morning: Take leaf peeping to the next level with fall fun on the Delaware River with Kittatinny Canoes, Inc. Start with a river trip. Canoe, kayak or raft down the Delaware for unmatched views of the autumn leaves. Fly through the trees on a mountain zip line. Ride solo or race a friend on Kittatinny’s 3,000’ zip line. You’ll reach speeds up to 60 MPH!
Afternoon: Celebrate the arts. Milford’s Black Bear Film Festival is scheduled in October—peak fall foliage time! Expect workshops, film screenings, panel discussions and more at the annual celebration.
Evening: Walk to a waterfall! The central color zone is home to many of the Pocono Mountains’ most iconic waterfalls. The trails to Raymondskill Falls are relatively easy and appropriate for children. Bushkill Falls is another top spot for waterfall viewing. Take a look through the Fall Foliage Map to find more waterfalls in the central color zone.
Unwind in a historic home. Just steps from the shops and restaurants downtown, Milford’s Harrington House bed and breakfast is an 1860s charmer. It even has a wrap-around porch!
Day Three: Enjoy the sights and sounds around Lake Wallenpaupack
Morning: Embark on a scenic drive in the northern color zone. Take historic Route 6 toward Hawley for award-winning views of the fall foliage. Route 507 around Lake Wallenpaupack was named one of Travel Channel’s Best Fall Foliage Road Trips in 2013.
Afternoon: Get festive during Harvest and Heritage Day . Honesdale’s annual Harvest and Heritage Days are scheduled usually on Columbus Day Weekend. Ready for fall fun? Highlights include hayrides, children’s activities, vendors, demonstrations, tours, tastings and exhibits at local attractions.
Indulge in farm-to-table restaurants in the Pocono Mountains. Fresh ingredients enhance handcrafted dishes at:
Evening: Take a stroll through the sanctuary. Encompassing almost 600 acres, the Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary is a wonderful place for a fall walk. The preserve is open daily, dawn to dusk, year-round.
Spend the night in a bluestone beauty. If you’re near Hawley, you must visit the Silk Mill. This 75,000-square-foot stunner is home to shops and galleries, and it's just steps from fine accommodations and farm-to-table dining. Explore the Mill Market, and find a bakery, beer garden and grocer all under one roof. Then tuck into the neighboring Ledges Hotel, where tumbling waterfalls complement autumn foliage. In the morning, grab a brew at farm-to-table café Cocoon Coffeehouse & Catering Company.
Visit the below links for even more great day trip ideas!
- Attend a Festival! The Pocono Mountains is home to some of the best festivals. From Split Rock Resort's beer fest to Shawnee Mountain's outdoor festivals, there's something for every age.
- Take a Tour! The Pocono Mountains has an appealing variety of historic buildings, museums and interesting sightseeing opportunities.
- Visit our Downtowns! Find things to do in our popular towns of Jim Thorpe, Milford and Stroudsburg or check out Lake Wallenpaupack this fall.
- Experience Agritourism! Pick, sip, taste, relax and explore; we have plenty to fill a Pocono Mountains adventure.
- Ride Horseback! Horseback riding is another great way to see the natural wonders of the Pocono Mountains.
- Go Shopping! The Pocono Mountains has some of the best shopping around. From outlet stores to unique antique shops, you are guaranteed to find something in your price range.
- See a Concert or Play! The Pocono Mountains offer concerts and plays all-year round. Check out the theaters and playhouses in our region.
- Play a Round of Golf! The Pocono Mountains has something that will satisfy every golfers' wants and needs.
- Visit a Spa! The Pocono Mountains will take you away from the every day stresses of life at one of our relaxing spas.
- Try your Hand! Let the games begin and test your luck at the tables, slots or roll the die at Mount Airy Casino Resort in the Pocono Mountains.
- Stay Overnight! Now that you see how much there is to do here, one day may not be enough. Experience even more by staying overnight on one of these special offers.